Sunday, January 26, 2014

It's a Cold & Windy Sunday in Iowa

I've mentioned before that I love Our Iowa magazine.   I was awake too early this morning reading and came across these Church Chuckles in Our Iowa and thought you'd enjoy a couple of them for today. 

One Sunday my husband and I gave our 3 year old son, Ron, some small change to put in the collection plate along with our offering.  Shortly after that, communion was passed around the pews at which time Ron started to reach for the tiny glass of grape juice.  I gently but firmly took his hand and shook my head "no".  In a loud clear voice that all could hear, Ron said, "Why can't I have some?  I paid for it!"

One Sunday when our daughter was young, the pastor announced that the congregation would sing the hymn Love Lifted Me.  When it came to the chorus, I heard this little voice beside me heartily singing, "Love Lipton Tea".  I think maybe even God had to smile over that version.  

And another funny one I have to include:

As my sister and her husband and two daughters walked to church one Sunday morning, my sister spotted a beer can lying along the road.  They stopped to pick it up, and she stuck it in her fairly big coat pocket, forgetting all about it.

At church, they walked down the aisle to the front pew where they regularly sat.  During the service, the 6 year old daughter reached into her mom's coat pocket and pulled out the beer can.  In view of the entire congregation, she lifted it high and shook it to determine if there was any beer in it.  Red-faced, my sister quickly grabbed the can and stuffed it back in her pocket . . . wondering for the rest of the service how many parishioners saw the incident.

No comments: