Monday, August 11, 2014

Back from Peoria

I'm just back last night from a Thurs.-Sun. trip to Peoria, IL for a stamping weekend with six of my Stampin' Up! demonstrator friends.  I haven't counted yet to see how many card samples and things we made, but it was a lot! 

On my way home, I detoured a little bit to stop at a farm stand in Muscatine, Iowa mostly for their famous melons.  I bought several to share.   The cantaloupe and Missouri peaches are excellent.  Hope the watermelon is too.  But I always say "they're almost as good as the Knox County, Indiana melons".   My Aunt Lois & Uncle Rich grew them in Knox County for years along with many other melon growers in that area.   Here's a link to a nice story about a melon farmer there. 

Then I detoured again to stop in Amana, IA.  There is a store closing there by the end of the year - the one where I learned how to dye Easter eggs the German way.  It's called The Kitchen Sink.  The owners want to retire after having the store for many years.  So I wanted to get some of the glue that you use for the eggs before they close.  It would've been nice to spend the whole weekend in the Amanas.  The weather was perfect, lots of flowers, people strolling and looking in the shops and even a German band playing outside of one of the wineries.  But after being gone for a few days and getting little sleep, I was ready to head home which was four hours away.

Of course I took pictures.   Will share after tomorrow.  Today I'm getting ready for a P.E.O. meeting that's here tomorrow.  Making the dessert now.  It's a layered ice cream dessert:  thin brownie layer, mint chocolate chip ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips. Also a little two bite lemon tart. 

No comments: